Thursday, September 14, 2006

pennies




they may be useless vermin in businessmen's pockets

but I like pennies

the part i don't completely understand about them is the superstition associated with them, for example:

If you see a penny on the ground and its heads up and and you pick it up it becomes good luck...right? (percival thinks you don't get the luck unless you kiss the penny)

Ok...so if its tails up you leave it alone, right? Other wise its bad luck. But what if you really need that penny?

Maybe this concept is what keeps homeless people homeless.

Ok, but here's another scenario.

What if you pick up a heads-up penny and and in mid-lift, it falls from your flimsy grasp, and it lands tails up?

is it still good luck or does it become bad? (this happened to me the other day)

Ok, heres another one...

If you see a tails up penny and kick it, so that it hits the wall and flips over, landing heads up...

Does it become good luck? (i've tried this before with mixed results)

What about if a penny falls from your pocket and lands tails up, but it was your penny to begin with, how can it become bad luck?

Does the luck only occur from strangers pennies that you find?

Maybe thats the bigger question.

So all these questions can remain a mystery, and they leave me to believe that if it wasn't for homeless people, assuming of course everyone actually believd in the superstition, that there would be tails up pennies scattered all over this country.

Unless the kicking theory works and you can alter the state of a bad luck penny.

These questions could be answered and if only I had the resources I would create an elite team of Superstition Scientists where we would test out, using the scientific method, the results of head up or heads down pennies..or walking under a ladder...or breaking a mirror ect.



I have a cool idea for a sculpture made completely out of pennies, and I am saving this bag of pennies for this project.

i have always been a little overly concerned with luck superstitions ever since I was young and one time I broke a mirror. Then all this bad shit started happening and it seemed to end about seven years later.

Mirrors suck.

..but thanks to heads up pennies, you can gain all the good luck and at the least attempt to balance out your cache of luck.

So I don't care what anybody says (New Yorkers are a little snobby about pennies)
Pennies Rock!

Thanks for the invite Mona!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

If I see a penny tail-up, I kick it or turn it over with a stick or a piece of gum or something, then I feel the superstition has passed by me and I can pick it up.

I wanna see that penny sculpture, man!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Lynnea said...

Thanks for the word aL. Fun post. I never knew the penny had to face a certain way, to think all these years I was picking up pennies and they could have been bad luck pennies!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Katy Diamond Hamer said...

So just a little while ago I got off the cross town bus. I stooped over to see a folded bill President head face up. Thinking it was a dollar I picked it up. (I can be a bit snotty New Yorker sometimes about the penny thing...) But when I unrolled the bill it was a twenty. Score!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you see a penny and it is tails up, your supposed to flip is heads up so that the next person that sees it and picks it up will have good luck, and the karma will come right back around to ya:)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin shoes, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, nike free, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, nike outlet, tiffany and co, ralph lauren pas cher, nike free, louboutin pas cher, ugg boots, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, replica watches, air max, michael kors, louis vuitton outlet, sac longchamp, longchamp, louis vuitton, louboutin, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, burberry, tiffany jewelry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home